Monday, September 8, 2008

No Milk!


The picket lines form.... No Milk, No Milk, No Milk.... The swat cars come... Tell us to put down our bottle waters or they will shoot.... sigh... the scene that plays over and over in my head.

So here's the deal! My lovely daughters Amy and Katie as shown in the pic below :)

Don't let their cute faces fool you, they are EVIL I tell you EVIL... Okay not evil but that's besides the point. Katie the smaller one of the right has a Milk allergy and Amy the one on the left has lactos issues, so needless to say neither one of the girls can really have milk. So they girls start school. Well on Friday my daughters tell me that they lunch lady isn't going to allow them to have anything to drink at school unless I give a doctors note stating why they can't have milk. Now I have done loads of research on milk, this stuff really is not all that good for the body (hence why my girls have issues, infact we don't even drink the stuff in our house we drink soy actually). Anyways, I go up to the school this morning to see if this could possibly be true I mean their old school AT LEAST offered some water....

According to the "food manager" it is the LAW that my girls get milk unless I have a doctors note stating otherwise. I asked well do you at least offer an alternative? Trying to get out of having to call the doctor, send over the crap worry if it will get there and blah blah blah... It's really not a HUGE deal but still a hassle none the less. I ask can't they just have water??? She says yeah if you are willing to pay an additional 75 cents for it! What? Last I saw water was free and when did schools stop having water fountains? But hey it's been a while since I have been in school so what do I know right??? The juice they have is an addition 5 cents... Which MAKES NO sense... So here are the choices if you have to pay right.... You have 8 oz's of milk which is 50 cent's though it's priced in with the food so no extra charge there, 4 oz's of juice for 55 cents (funny because juice is cheaper then milk but whatever) and 75 cents for 12 oz of water.... Sigh...

So now I have to call the peds office today and see if they don't mind writing up SOMETHING for the school and fax it over so my girls can have something to drink because I didn't have any extra cash to send them something today.... Ugh....

Anyways just wanted to rant about that today.

2 comments:

2carbkickingchicks said...

Gotta love the school system where the adult has to get a dr's note because they fear your lying to get out of drinking milk. Now why is it the law and what if the child drank it, not realizing that it's not the milk their supposed to have. Now, seriously, they should have some other options set aside for a child that has allergic reactions and not have to have some note. :( I'm glad my child is home-schooled w/ their day time mama, Kathy. LOL

Anonymous said...

Some schools are subsidized by the USDA so they get paid to serve the kids milk.

http://www.healthyschoollunches.org/background/milk.cfm